The New Intercontinental Competition will Bring the ‘Best Rugby in America’
The American Raptors are excited to announce joining the revamped Super Rugby Americas. Formerly known as SLAR, this new competition will include:
- A competition between teams in North and South America
- New name, new logo
- 7 franchises participating – Peñarol Rugby (2022 Champions), Pampas, Dogos XV, Cobras Brasil XV, Selknam, Yacare XV, and American Raptors
- 45 games, including semifinals and the final
- Each team plays home and away games
- Regular season will start February 18, 2023
- Semi-finals and finals will be in South America
- Final will be June 9, 2023
- Games will be live on ESPN and Star+ (in South America)
- All American Raptors home matches will be streamed in North America on AmericanRaptors.com.
This new competition will be extremely useful in preparing the three teams from South America – Argentina, Uruguay and Chile – that will compete in the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
Super Rugby Americas will begin on February 18, 2023 and will end with the final matches on June 9, 2023. The competition will be made up of seven franchises focused on the development of players. Colombian players will also participate in the continental tournament. Representing South America there will be, for the first time ever, two franchises from Argentina, and one from Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay; in North America, the American Raptors, based in Glendale, Colorado will represent the continent.
The format of the competition will be traditional, with teams playing home and away games. The regular season will consist of 42 games followed by the semifinals and the grand final on June 9, 2023. The time and location of the final will be announced at a later date.
The participating teams of Súper Rugby Américas 2023
- Pampas, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Dogos XV, Ciudad de Córdoba (Argentina)
- Cobras Brasil XV, San Pablo (Brasil)
- Selknam, en Santiago (Chile)
- Yacare XV, en Asunción (Paraguay)
- American Raptors, Glendale, Colorado (United States)
- Peñarol Rugby, Montevideo (Uruguay)
The entire tournament will be broadcasted live in the region (South America) on ESPN/Star+, the official broadcaster of Super Rugby Americas. All American Raptors home matches will be streamed in North America on AmericanRaptors.com.
The Super Rugby Americas logo is an adaptation of the international Super Rugby brand, SANZARR with graphic elements of the American continent.
The American Raptors roster and complete schedule will be released in the coming weeks.